Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tulip Mania


During the Dutch Golden Age in the 17th century, the Tulip flower became a status symbol and a luxury item, with rare bulbs selling for ten times more than the average skilled craftsman made in an entire year.  The vivid colors and firey shapes in the petals of ceratin types became highly sought after.  Interestingly, this effect was a result of a virus, and the Tulip market crashed.
Today I picked up this lazy bunch for $6.99 at my local organic market, brought them home and read about them in my Garden of Eden book of botanical illustrations.  (Nerd.)  Fresh flowers are so pretty to look at in the middle of winter.  I'm glad that horticulturalists found a way to achieve the same gorgeous results the virus created through breeding alone.  Maybe when I retire, I will breed Tulips.  Or make goat cheese.  I can't decide.

No comments: