Wednesday, September 30, 2009

pretty girls with pretty pets.





Once upon a time, I lived in beautiful San Francisco. Everyday I went to work at Upper Playground's Fifty24SF Gallery, I was greeted by the ballerina skirt adorned, bunny ear clad girl painted on the door above. It was the warmest welcome to any job I have ever had. Whenever I met this sassy lil' lady, I just felt like everything was in it's right place, and it was such a treat to be making a life, not just a living.
Miss Van, the artist who painted this gorgeous character, has carried her pretty girls into much more darker narratives, and I'm loving every story. She is draping slumbering animals on their pretty heads or giving them long locks that wrap around all sorts of lovely places. I've always been a huge admirer, and it's great to see her work evolving with a darker mystery, while still maintaining a sweet softness.

No comments: