Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Style and pride are inseparable.

Jamel Shabazz (portrait of the artist)
Vintage Cazal Frames

DAMN! Seriously, I can't decide which pair of vintage Cazal frames rule the world more! Run DMC made them famous in the eighties, but I want to make them legendary. Everything about these frames are completely extroverted and bold. When did we get so timid?
Fashion hasn't seen attitude like this since Jamel Shabazz's collection of photographs documenting urban street style in "A Time Before Crack." (I have a singed copy of this book that I am very proud of, which Mr. Shabazz wrote a note in reminding me "always keep your focus.") Sometimes, fashion's previous triumphs need to be celebrated. Now is one of those times. New York City's coolest kids got it right in the mid 70s and held it down for a solid decade. It's time for a revival. Before crack hit the ghettos of NYC in the mid eighties, optimism existed...and style and pride were inseparable. I'd like to think that wearing a pair a vintage Cazal's is my nod to that innocent and positive time.

1 comment:

MCR said...

what about the pair we saw shopping that day?! they were out of control hot. much like you. love your stuff homegirl.