Tuesday, June 22, 2010

my first bunting!

 
Nothing cheers me up like bunting! Recently, I acquired this adorable trio of mini bunting (above) from the Knotted Nest store on Etsy. 
Inspired by this crafty idea, I took on a quite a challenge for my first sewing project ever.  With a dear friend having a baby soon, I thought it would be the perfect handmade gift for decorating the new lil' one's room.  Needing an inspirational message, I turned to Hip Hop, my go-to for life mottos!  Nas' "The World is Yours" is pretty much the best advice for a new baby, so I started there.  
After a crash course in operating a sewing machine from my awesome roommate, I began the project with some nervousness, but mostly determination.  Measuring and cutting came first.  I made a triangle stencil, 7 inches on each side for good luck!  I cut the fabric out using serrated scissors, which make an adorable zig zag edge.  Each triangle had another triangle behind it, so that the banner could be reversible!  Then I cut out the felt letters, using fabric chalk to outline the font.  After all the cutting was finished, it was time to assemble!  To hang the banner, I used a thick mint green ribbon.  I folded it in half, ironed it, and tucked the triangles in, pinning them securely. After sewing was complete, I added some finishing touches: streamers on each end and white Ric Rac trim on the letters. 
The finished banner was a hit!  Handmade gifts are always so charming and I was thrilled I pulled it off without it looking too much like a Dr. Frankenstein job.  Cheers to baby Willem, who hopefully won't get the wrong idea and end up a dictator:)  

2 comments:

Mandee Rae said...

I hope your friend holds on to this forever and then shows it to Willem when he's 11 or 12, whatever age it is when you start getting into music and he realizes his Auntie Meg is so down she can't get up.

mstaubitz said...

Little Willem loves his banner indeed. Although he is already showing a penchant for tyranny with his constant demands for hot milk on tap.