Monday, December 29, 2008

fancy farmers

Clare Rojas:Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs:


Yesterday I stumbled across a lovely hex sign at Ugly Luggage on Bedford Ave. I usually find super special items there, and even if I don't buy anything, I always leave intrigued and inspired. Luckily, I copped this amazing Pennsylvania Dutch hex sign, featuring unicorns, tulips, and a heart. These symbols represent peace, piety, contentment, faith, and love. Even more fortunate, the sign was made by Jacob Zook, who originated silk screening hex signs in the 1940s. Yay, printmaking!!!
Tradition has it that the Pennsylvania Dutch "fancy" farmers decorated their barns with these bright, symbolic hex signs to promote good fortune. Folk art is amazing to me. It's simple, clear, and always has a purpose rooted in daily life. I'm so happy to have a hex sign in my home and I hope it brings me lots of luck! I am excited to collect more of these pretty and inspiring objects! Plus, they remind me of one of my favorite artists, Clare Rojas.